Underground Metal Blog since 2013

2022. december 29., csütörtök

Olly Zubor (HammerWorld, ex-Cerebral Haemorrhage)

  Interview with Olly Zubor 

(HammerWorld, 

ex-Cerebral Haemorrhage)

Hail my good old Hungarian friend Olly! Castrum videos you made and edited, are celebrating 25th anniversary this year and we are still so honoured to you! How do you remember your clip-making process for those old tracks? 

- Hello Georgius! Wow, 25 years already? Like it was yesterday. I remember you asked me to make a music video for one of the songs of the Pleasure in the Deeds of Horror demo, and for that I also received a complete concert recording from Ungvár/Uzhhorod. Then I got so excited that I made a video for both songs and the intro of the demo. It was great fun! And it was also my first music video cut after the video I made for my own band, Cerebral Haemorrhage. By the way, may I ask where you first saw the Castrum videos? And what was your opinion of them 25 years ago?

(I suppose in 1997, when Cornelius of Castrum brought VHS tape with your awesome stuff you created for us  and I/we are still so grateful for your amazing job! -G//)

Are you playing the guitar nowadays? Are you planning to make some special stuff for your old band Cerebral Haemorrhages’ honor? 

- I haven't held an instrument in my hands for years. I have no specific plans for Cerebral Haemorrhage at the moment. However, two of our old musicians, the bassist Brutal and the drummer Pitty, used to play together recently. True, their musical style is far from what we played around 1995. Still, I wouldn't mind if they made new songs under the name Cerebral Haemorrhage. But I prefer to stay on the "other side". I mean, I don't play in bands, I write about people who play in bands. 

It’s a bit sad question… Unfortunately, László Lénárd of Hungarian Metal Hammer/HammerWorld passed away this year…May he Rest in Peace…Share your memories about him please…

- This is very difficult for me to talk about... Laci was my mentor. I am a music journalist thanks to him. He was like my second father to me. At the time of his death, I thought very seriously about it would be worth and I should continue doing journalism? But then I decided that I had to keep doing it for his memory. Because that's what he wants too... 

What are your latest reviews in HammerWorld and what are your favourite albums this year so far? 

- I wrote about the new records of Cabal, Lacuna Coil, Lacrimas Profundere, Architects, Souldrainer, We Came as Romans and Therion. I don't want to reveal my favorite albums of this year yet, as I will soon make a top 20 list that will be published in HammerWorld magazine. However, I may surprise you, but I really like Rakshak by the Indian band Bloodywood. 



My old friend Cornelius of Castrum/Encomium joined the forces of our local Grindcore/Goregrind horde Hulla in 2021 as a guitarist. What is your opinion about their releases? 

-  I really like the goregrind style. That's why I was happy that Cornelius and Hulla are also making EPs in this genre. Moreover, at a very high standard. Considering the difficult situation in which the ‘Recovery’ EP was born, it contains great songs. I trust that the situation in your country will be settled soon, and then the future studio recordings of Hulla will take place in ideal conditions. 

Another question about my old friend’s activity. Did you listen to Cornelius’ ambient tracks? For me all of them sound awesome. 

-  I think Cornelius is Dan Swanö of Ungvár/Uzhhorod, ha-ha! He creates great songs in any style. Speaking of the video from 25 years ago, 'Tears of Eternal Expiation' was also an excellent intro. So, Cornelius already proved in the 90s that he has a very diverse musical knowledge. In recent years, he has gained even more musical experience. I hope I can make a song with him one day, ha-ha! It could even be rap or pop from me, ha-ha! What's more, if Cornelius composes a joint song for us for the Eurovision Song Contest, I'll be happy to sing it too, ha-ha! But on a serious note, I salute my friend Cornelius, who I respect a lot for his persistence and his work for metal music!

Perhaps you know, that Archangel’s Lantern is eternally dedicated to the memory of Jon Andreas Nödtveidt and Lars-Göran Petrov amongst others…Name us your most preferred albums and tracks by their heritage. Did you see and meet them live? 

- This is also a difficult question... I loved LG Petrov's voice in every song. But if I can only say one record, it would be 'Wolverine Blues'. As for Jon Andreas, it's hard to choose between Dissection's classics ('The Somberlain', 'Storm of the Light's Bane'). Moreover, I also listened to Ophthalamia's record, ‘A Journey in Darkness’, a lot. I saw Lars-Göran in Hungary with Entombed, but I never saw Jon live.

You are living in Budapest. What do you recommend to the readers to visit in Budapest (interesting places) and to taste local foods and drinks?

- Unfortunately, there are fewer and fewer good restaurants in Budapest. Due to the current economic situation, many entertainment venues are closing down in our country as well. So, if I told you a good restaurant now, it might not be open tomorrow. So, let's come back to this question in a few months! 

What are your favourite books and movies? 

- That's an easy question. I love Stephen King's books. My favorite is 'Pet Sematary'. I also like the movie based on the book. Even my phone ringtone is the 'Pet Sematary' soundtrack. 

About Italian Juventus: What are most preferred your players back in the day and currently? 

- I felt in love with Juventus during the Michel Platini era. Then the attacking duo Vialli-Ravanelli became my favorite. Then came the others: Del Piero, Zidane, Nedved, Camoranesi. Today? No player can match the previous ones. But maybe Chiesa will lead the team back to where it belongs.

Nagyon szépen köszönöm/Thank you very much my dear friend Olly. If there's anything you would like to add in the end of this conversation, please feel free to do it.

- Dear Georgius, I thank you for the opportunity! Take care and do many more interesting interviews with interesting people and bands in the columns of Archangel’s Lantern! It's an honor to call you my friend! Wish you all a Very Happy New 2023 Year! 
























Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése