Underground Metal Blog since 2013

2016. június 2., csütörtök

András/Voice of the Night-fanzine

Interview with András/Voice of the Night-fanzine
(Owl Cave, ex-Aegis fanzine,
ex-Kronos Mortus e-zine)


Hail my old Hungarian Friend/Brother, András and very welcome to my small blog, Archangel’s Lantern! How and when did you get introduced in underground?

- Hailz Brother Georgius, the pleasure is mine! Also, I have to add that this is an exception to my own rules that we are doing this interview as I absolutely prefer printed 'zines over any virtual medium, but Archangel's Lantern is one of the few exceptions, so here we go!
My involvment in the Underground started a long time ago. I think my musical background is quite usual for the era in which I was growing up. I heard through some mates from school SCORPIONS, METALLICA, BEATRICE, HELLOWEEN first (of course on dubbed tapes), and I liked these very much. Some time later, in 1991, I got a tape from NAPALM DEATH (”Harmony Corruption”), which was very extreme for me back then but very soon I got to like it. From there, there was no turning back.... DEATH, CARCASS, OBITUARY, MORBID ANGEL, MORGOTH, MASSACRE and many more bands. I spent all my money on tapes on the flea market (Polish tapes were very cheap and all kinds of bands were available). I also liked Hungarian bands such as EXTREME DEFORMITY, SUBJECT, INTENSE AGONIZING etc.  In 1994/1995 I also got to know Black Metal, and this was also a revelation for me, I had never felt that kind of feeling in DM bands. Of course, at that time mostly Northern Black Metal was the most accessible, EMPEROR, IMMORTAL etc., but there were also bands such as SAMAEL which was a bit different musically but still Dark... Then, around 1996/1997, when I was doing my university studies in Debrecen I visited a certain Attila Máté who was doing the first issue of his fanzine, Nightwalk. I borrowed many tapes/CDs from him, and through him I got some insight into the world of 'zines and Underground. So, I was witnessing all his work with Nightwalk from the not-so-professionally-looking first issue to the 5th one, which was released in 1000 copies with a full color cover. So it did not take too long while the idea formed in my head to do an own musical 'zine...

We are with you pretty good old friends, since we met first time in Rock-Ness metal-shop of our common friend, László Bohner, Debrecen/Hungary around in 1999. We talked a lot about our common passion, metal music and your fanzine called ”Aegis”. When did you start with “Aegis”? Tell us more about your previous work. What are your favorite interviews in Aegis?

- Yes, I remember exactly the first time we met. I was also a frequent visitor of Rock-Ness myself, and I clearly remember that you were very happy when Laci gave you the CD of CARNAGE (”Dark Recollections”). So, Aegis started around 1998, at first I tried to recruit some more guys but in the end I was doing most of the stuff alone.  Also, it was relatively expensive to print out my humble 100 copies when I was a broke student, hehe. If I remember well, the first issue came out in 1999 or 2000, and it covered a wider range of bands, and it was a typical first issue with all its flaws and all but I think the interviews were OK for the most part. The 2nd issue was a bit better in terms of contents and bands. For the 3rd issue, I got help from Emese ”MSE” Tátrai who can be known from her work with Stiff&Cold and others, and János Stauderer (Metal ör Die Records) also brought contents. We were also working on a 4th issue but it was never released. That was planned to be released in English (the previous 3 were in Hungarian language). Actually, many interviews were done also by János (NOKTURNAL MORTUM, Attila Csihar to name some of them), and he also wrote extremely many reviews, but first these were in Hungarian, and it was a lot of work to do the translation. So, to cut it short, it got delayed and in the end it somehow faded away. Also, at that time, I was started to do my own musical things as well...
My favourite interviews might be Winter (FOREST SILENCE, ARUD, INFERNAL), AETERNUS, NOX INTEMPESTA (it was very surprising to get to know years later that Malte is behind the very well-known NECROS CHRISTOS), (unpublished interview for issue 4 with) WINDIR (Valfar liked the interview so much.... anyway, RIP), THY SERPENT, GRAVELAND, SUMMONING, THRONEUM... Many of these were done via traditional postal mail, by the way.


You had and maybe still have your own ambient one-man band, called Owl Cave. I’m still listening to “Behind the Red Drape” (2006) a lot of times. Tell to the readers please more about this one.

- Well, through Black Metal I also discovered the (Dark) Ambient genre, which I still like very much though I am not following it very closely. So, it was natural that I became interested in ”trying” myself in this genre as the technical side of this was also interesting for me. But the intention was not really to do records , just to experiment a bit and do some kind of audial stuff for me to enjoy.  I started to learn the technical aspects of making sounds, and the first experiments already revealed that my ideas sound rather cosmic so the idea of MARE FRIGORIS was born.... I created some hours of stuff some of which was released (a Demo tape on Folterkammer Records, a split tape/pro CD-r release with SPÜOLUS), but I also did an intro/outro for Hungarian WARKULT band. 
- As I have been a BIG fan of David Lynch's cult series Twin Peaks, I wanted to pay tribute to Twin Peaks somehow in sounds... Very soon it became evident that it's an own Entity so OWL CAVE was born. To create and record ”Behind the Red Drape” was very fascinating because it was like a revelation through me. I was not really aware what I was doing but in 2-3 days I had the stuff recorded. Then I myself had to decipher the significance of certain parts so I was listening to it like an outsider. It was very interesting. If you like the Darkness of Twin Peaks, then ”Behind the Red Drape” might be a good companion for a ride through the Ghostwood Forest certainly... Currently, the project is dormant, I have some ideas for the 2nd material, but I do not know when this will be done.

After a long break you’ve returned with a new fanzine, “Voice of the Night”. Share with us about the beginning and all the important info.

- Yes, in the back of my head the unfinished 4th issue of Aegis was some kind of disturbance for me. I also had some interviews done which were quite good yet unpublished. So, in 2011 I decided to resurrect my 'zine but in English and under a new name.... Voice of the Night. As I got older and developed in many areas, this effort is much more 'serious' (maybe it is not the best word but...), and my vision is much clearer what I want from a fanzine. Ideology and music are both covered within the interviews, and I am working very hard to come up with interesting questions (which I am interested myself to know the answer), specifically for the given individual/band which are not asked in every 'zine, and I am intentionally avoiding such silly topics like 'how was the recording session' etc, hehe. For the first issue, I used two older interviews that were done for Aegis (AUTOPSY, PAYSAGE D'HIVER), but the highlight was definitely the long chat with 666 In the Northern Sky 'zine. It was released in 100 copies in total as far as I remember and there is still interest for this. I traded copies all around the world, and the general response was quite good from people I received. 
2nd issue was put out last Summer, this time in 86 pages with interviews like MARE, DENIAL OF GOD, ABYSMAL GRIEF, UNGOD, EVILFEAST, NECRO SCHIZMA, Albertus Vorkt (highlight of the issue), IMPRECATION, THORNIUM, reviews... I am pretty satisfied with it, I think the contents and layout are also good. In the first run, it was printed in 130 copies, and recently additional 30 copies were done so I still have a few left for those interested....
Currently, I am working on the 3rd issue which I hope to put out later this year. Some interviews are already done and some are in progress. The work is going on in the background!


I’m so thankful to you for the co-operation with you in the issue 2 of “Voice of the Night” about true story of Ladislaus/László Liszti/Listius. What do you think about this evil count?

...and I am eternally thankful for you, my Brother for this excellent article! I think he was a truly possessed individual, and it goes to show that Hungarian history is MORE than Erzsébet Báthory... I still remember when you borrowed me that book on the Count, it was a fascinating read!!!

You’ve written an awesome review about our past band, Domhring: “The Vicar of Satan”-s demo and visited a lot of times our live performances. I’m so curious about your opinion of Domhring nowadays.

- I think that your involvement in the band was a significant factor of that band, and it's a pity it was not continued though I know it's not easy to do a band with several members. With the same dedication and stuff... It was a promising demo, and I like the lyrics very much!

(Who is curious, there is the YouTube link of my past band, Domhring: The Vicar Of Satan demo): 

(there is the link of review in Kronos Mortus e-zine, written by my Hungarian Brother, András/Stillborn):

What’s your point of view about Hungarian underground back in the day and in our times? Would you be so kind to recommend to the readers a few Hungarian hordes?

- I think the old movement was great with bands like TORMENTOR, FANTOM, ANGEL REAPER, and later MIST, VERSANO, SUBJECT, INTENSE AGONIZING, SEAR BLISS, DUSK, FOREST SILENCE, THY FUNERAL, and more. It had a great feeling with hand-written letters, tapes and the general aura of those times, there was a youthful energy tangible back then. Later, the Darker side of Underground was not in a very good state for me, but during the last couple of years, with the activity of Inner Awakening Circle I am highly impressed again. Also, in Death Metal front, we have AGE OF AGONY. So, some names here... THY FUNERAL (”Master of Rebellion” is one of the best BM materials of our country!), SPÜOLUS, FOREST SILENCE, ARUD, NEFARIOUS, WARKULT, LEPRA, GRIMNESS, KRIPTA, NIEDERGANG, SEPULCHRUM, GYÖTRELEM, TYMAH, SVOID, AORNOS, and I also like PERIHELION.

Alongside your fanzine and Owl Cave do you have any special hobbies?

- I would not call these special, but I like reading, listening to music, staring at old paintings. I do not have that much free time.

What are your favourite albums, books, perhaps movies? (top 10)

- I cannot really name top 10 in either of these categories, but I can mention some titles. Music-wise, these albums are significant to me for this or that reason... MAYHEM: ”De Mysteriis Dom. Sathanas”, LIMBONIC ART: ”Moon in the Scorpio”, MORBID ANGEL: ”Abominations of Desolation”/”Altars of Madness”/”Blessed are the Sick”/”Covenant”, ENTOMBED: ”Left Hand Path”/”Clandestine”, CULTES DES GHOULES: ”Häxan”/”Spectres Over Transylvania”, DENIAL OF GOD: ”The Horrors of Satan”/”Death and the Beyond”, EMPEROR: ”Wrath of the Tyrant”/”Emperor”/”In the Nightside Eclipse”/”Anthems...”, MASSACRE: ”From Beyond”, DEATH: ”Scream Bloody Gore”/”Leprosy”/”Spiritual Healing”/”Human”, SEPULCHRUM: Demo, ACHERON: ”Rites of the Black Mass”/”Those Who have Risen”, ABIGOR: ”Opus IV”/”Channeling the Quintessence of Satan”, AETERNUS: ”...and so the Night Became”, NECROMANTIA: ”Promo tape '92”/”Crossing the Fiery Path”/”Scarlet Evil Witching Black”, ARMAGEDDA: ”Ond Spiritism”, ASPHYX: ”The Rack”/”Asphyx”, AUTOPSY: ”Severed Survival”/”Retribution for the Dead”/”Mental Funeral”/Fiend for Blood”,  BATHORY: ”The Return......”/”Under the Sign of the Black Mark”/”Blood Fire Death”/”Hammerheart”/”Blood on Ice”, BEHELAL: ”Metamorphosis”, BOLT THROWER: ”Warmaster”/”...for Victory”, BURZUM: ”Det Som Engang Var”/”Hvis Lyset Tar Oss”/”Filosofem”, CARCASS: ”Symphonies of Sickness”/”Necroticism...”, DARKTHRONE: ”Under a Funeral Moon”, DARK AGES: ”A Chronicle of the Plague”, DARKSPACE: ”Dark Space I”, DISSECTION: ”The Somberlain”/”Storm of the Light's Bane”, SETHERIAL: ”Hell Eternal”, GRAVELAND: ”The Celtic Winter”/”Carpathian Wolves”/”Thousand Swords”, HADES: ”The Dawn of the Dying Sun”, LEGION OF DOOM: ”The Horned Made Flesh”, SINISTER: ”Cross the Styx”/”Hate”, MASTER'S HAMMER: ”Ritual”, SLAYER: ”Hell Awaits”/”Reign in Blood”/”South of Heaven”/”Seasons in the Abyss”, MODER: ”Ewiger Tod”, MORTUARY DRAPE: ”All the Witches Dance”/”Secret Sudaria”, MY DYING BRIDE: ”Symphonaire Infernus...”/”As the Flower Withers”, NAASTROND: ”Toteslaut”, BLOOD AXIS: ”The Gospel of Inhumanity”, VARATHRON: ”His Majesty at the Swamp”/”Walpurgisnacht”, ROTTING CHRIST: ”Passage to Arcturo”/”Thy Mighty Contract”, NOKTURNAL MORTUM: ”To the Gates of Blasphemous Fire”, ROOT: ”Zjeveni/Hell Symphony”, SAMAEL: ”Ceremony of Opposites”,  TIAMAT: ”The Astral Sleep”/”A Deeper Kind of Slumber”...
As for writers, here are some names I enjoy... E.A. Poe, H. P. Lovecraft, Nietzsche, Goethe, Milton, Crowley, E.A. Koetting, and J.R.R. Tolkien, Jules Verne, Bram Stoker, Conan Doyle for lighter reading, and more.
My absolute favourite TV show is Twin Peaks (and Fire Walk with Me!), as it can be sensed from my previous answers, and anything by David Lynch. Apart from that, I like old classic Horror movies like The Exorcist, Omen, Friday 13th, The Shining etc. And of course the mighty X-Files!


Archangel’s Lantern is eternally dedicated to Jon Andreas Nödtveidt’s memory. Share some thoughts about him…

- He was a great musician and highly interesting individual! He has left a great legacy for sure, enough to mention just ”The Somberlain” or ”Storm of the Light's Bane”... Masterfully written tunes with a great atmosphere! Unlike many others, I accept and hail his decision to take his own life and to depart to other spheres...

Which foods, drinks do you recommend us from Hungary (especially from your area)?

I am not the biggest culinary expert to be honest, I like simple traditional foods like stuffed cabbage, chicken soup, pancakes and similar food. As for drinks, of course I like good pálinka, beer, and dry red wines (Bull's Blood of Eger, for instance), and I can recommend the excellent rose wine of Tringa winery from Szekszárd!

Nagyon szépen köszönöm, András Testvérem/thanks so much brother! Send please, some thoughts from Owl Cave and/or Voice of the Night…

Köszönöm Testvérem a lehetőséget!!! At the end, I quote here the words of Mr. Windom Earle from Twin Peaks...
"Once upon a time, there was a place of great goodness, called the White Lodge. Gentle fawns gamboled there amidst happy, laughing spirits. The sounds of innocence and joy filled the air. And when it rained, it rained sweet nectar that infused one's heart with a desire to live life in truth and beauty. Generally speaking, a ghastly place, reeking of virtue's sour smell. Engorged with the whispered prayers of kneeling mothers, mewling newborns, and fools, young and old, compelled to do good without reason ... But, I am happy to point out that our story does not end in this wretched place of saccharine excess. For there's another place, its opposite: A place of almost unimaginable power, chock full of dark forces and vicious secrets. No prayers dare enter this frightful maw. The spirits there care not for good deeds or priestly invocations; they're as like to rip the flesh from your bone as greet you with a happy "good day." And if harnessed, these spirits in this hidden land of unmuffled screams and broken hearts would offer up a power so vast that its bearer might reorder the Earth itself to his liking.”


Kronos Mortus e-zine: 

Rock-Ness: 












Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése