Jormundgand: Visions of the Past
Tobias Fongelius, leader of Swedish Jormundgand told us with his own words all the important things about their first full-length, "Visions of the Past".....
Visions of the Past....Wish Has Not Yet Come To Be...
I. Malice Striker
- Well this one is a quite unique song with musical influences from a lot of angels! We have a almost classic heavy metal intro that evolves itself to a more aggressive kind of song. Then it turns into a pure thrash/black metal crossover tune with the Blitzkrieg attack from old German thrash, old South American death and a feeling of the northern coldness! The song is a tribute to the Northern dragon of Chaos - Nidhögg. He´s (sometimes) the Norse aspect of the force of Alefpene `Ash, The Sword of Asmodeus who will at the end of this cosmic realm destroy the roots of the Tree of Life and let Ragnarök/Kaos strike with full force. Nidhögg is also called "The Malice Striker".
II. Sorath 666
- This is one of the songs that is total insane on the record! We felt that if we are going to introduce the mighty Sorath to people it must be forceful, Satanic, insane and with full attack! This song has changed a lot during the live-performances. The weird solo-part in the middle is now a heavy and dark doomy part instead, and the speaking, whispering, screaming part is changed to a more melodic structure. I don’t think that we will change the song and add the new things on this recording. What’s done is done. You have to come and see us live to hear the new parts!
III. Hail the Mighty Dead
- This is the oldest song on the album. I think it was finished back in 2010, but it didn’t worked so well with "Raping Corpse" and "The Eleventh Path". So we decided to add it to this album instead. I really like the intro on this one! It´s almost oriental in the sound, but still very "Nordic" and cold. The song is quite "ruff" and I think that we would have make it a little bit different today, but it work out fine anyway!
It´s a song about spiritual frustration, falsehood, life and illusions of life. The feeling that sometimes the only real, the only true in this bound world, is DEATH! Its about the longing and searching beyond the narrow-minded human psyche, the lost fires of life... To raise the dragon inside of you! To open the eye to the true world, to reach out your hand to the Darkness, and to enter..
IV. Faces of Death
- When Tobias Petterson (ex-Jormundgand, ex-Vornth, RAM), our former bass-player, first came to me with this song I was quite....surprised by the sound! He had recorded it in some music program with a drum-machine in his appartment many years ago, and it sounded like a total maniac that screamed over the tunes! First i wanted him to sing on this recording as well, but i did it anyway. I think the result went quite well. Its more a "Jormundgand-sound" over it now, and that’s good! Haha!
The lyrics is based on an old weird horror-movie from 1977 - "Faces of Death".
V. Doom Destruction Death
- Well, this one is a special one for me! First we wanted to do a tribute-song to "East European Metal". But the song get it´s own will and kind of created itself! I remember that everything felt very weird about this song in the studio, and i decided that i didn´t want to have DDD on the record at all! But on the last day in the studio we decided to add it to the album anyway. So my relation to DDD is still quite difficult, but I´m really like it and I’m glad that we took the decision to add it to the album!
The lyric theme is about my disgust for all these fucking posers and "wannabees" out there. All this fucking narrow-minded assholes that start their own evil "Black Metal band" and screams out how big Satanists they are, how much they hate the humanity and want to kill everybody on the planet, drink their blood and sacrifice their pets to Lucifer! Well, I have no problem with that, IF you are willing to do all that FOR REAL! If you are able to transfer your big words of Doom, Destruction and Death to reality, fine. Do it then and stop scream so fucking much!
Självet is a tribute to our inner beings. The power of the black burning Witchflame. The shadowless light that will guide us on the path of no return. Självet is Swedish for "The self".
VII. Beyond the Bound
- I think that the title of this song speaks for itself. I wrote this lyrics after one of my first "real" contacts with the other side. When you understand that everything is for real! When all of your last doubts just been swept away! When you can see that beyond this petty, bound world, there is something great and unlimited just waiting for you to explore it! When you realize that it´s up to you now. How far are you ready to go? Because you know that one day, you will stand on this crossroad, go further into the deep? Or stay on this shores and turn into.. well? Into what?
It may sound like an easy choice for everyone who walk the burning path of Sitra Ahra, but I think that it will be the most painful and hard battle you can imagine. Specially when you have a lot of "self-created chains" that holding you back to this world.. And that’s what "Beyond the Bound" is all about, to try to reach beyond this earthly shackles of false emotions, blood and flesh. Beyond the veils of illusions. The will to see beyond it, the things that bind you..... and to release yourself into the obscure paths, concealed in deep mysteries and of burning black darkness.
a short but important and I hope, interesting conversation with Tobbe:
Hail, my great friend, Tobbe! Please tell us about Jormundgand’s last shows this year!
- Hail! Great to hear from you again! Well, as you said we have finally started to do live performances! And i think that it has been the most important step for us this far. We waited for such a long time because i didn’t felt comfortable with the band before. We had no clear picture of what we wanted to express on stage and why we should express it. I think that if you want to play black metal as an live act you have a great responsibility. It´s not just about music i think. I hate when black metal bands enter the stage with no respect for their music or the "scene". If there still is any... You know when a couple of drunk kids or whatever, painted with corpse-paint, pentagrams, inverted crosses and studs as long as spears on their arms, wearing jeans and converse shoes and throwing fake blood on the audience! Screaming out their "evil" lyrics and just making a fool of themselves! And at the same time they eviscerate the whole scene while the masses laughing at everything that is called black metal.
For me Black metal is a true force! Something that is dangerous and malicious. Something pure in this unpure world, or unpure in a pure reality. It depends on how you look upon it. I think that deserves respect and dedication by its practitioners.
I’ve got from you Jormundgand full-length preview and I must say, it's an excellent work, one of my favourites last year. When and where do you plan to release "Visions of the Past?"
- Thank you Georgius! Well, we don’t know. The plan has been to release it through "Burning Eye Productions" but it wont happen. I don’t have the time or money. So we are looking for a label who want to release the material! But it´s very hard out there! We are many who wants a bite of the cookie! And the thing is that we have a different sound today since both Erik and Fredrik joined the band. And we have 5 new fresh songs that is soo fucking great, that everything else we have done seems light years behind! haha, so I think that we will put our forces together and try to record the new material later this year, and then try to get some label interested of our work after that. But I hope that there is some label who want to release "Visions of the Past" in the future! You never know!
What is the current line-up of Jormundgand? Do you have some new tracks? Share with us Your future plans!
- The current lineup is:
Tobias Fongelius (me) - Guitar and vocals
Erik Kjörnsberg - Guitar
Fredrik Sundgren - Bass
Ingo Carlsson - Drums
Yes! The new tracks is the best we have done this far. It has a more mature sound and much more melodic parts and deliberate riffs! I really looking forward to record the new material! We will play three of the new songs live in November along with our brothers in Vornth and some other great bands!
Archangel's Lantern is Eternally dedicated to Jon Andreas Nödtveidt. Please share with the readers some thoughts about Him!
- Jon Nödtveidt impact on me as an musician, and as an Satanist.... Well, where should I start? The first tune i ever heard with Dissection was "Where Dead Angel´s Lie", and from that moment on i was caught! The beautiful, freezing cold and sinister dark tunes that only Jon could compose is by far the most impressive, talented and inspiring music I´ve ever heard. Every single tune that he made with Dissection is just pure perfection. Like burning spears polished for slaughter, the music just pierced it´s way straight into my heart! There is some kind of "quality" in the music of Dissection that makes you able to listen to the albums again and again and again........ And you will never get tired of it! There is only a handful of bands that is able to create that kind of music, and Dissection is absolutely one of those bands! I have always been attracted by the dark gods of chaos. In one way or the other... Jon opened my eyes for a wider perspective. His words guided my mind to find the strength to search for other paths... To find keys... Away from my shallow grey world, and to search for the burning path, to find the great black abysmal ocean of the wrathful chaos! He was my first and most important key! The "eyeopener"! Well, i have said it before and now i will say it again, Jon is one of my great sources of inspiration, both musically and spiritually. His music is eternal perfection and his legacy shall never be forgotten! Hail Jon Nödtveidt! Hail the mighty dead! Hail the bloodline of fire!
Tack så mycket, my great friend! Hail Jormundgand! If there's anything you would like to add at the end of this mini-interview please feel free to do and your message for the readers of Archangel's Lantern...
- Well, I think that I have said everything in the interview about my opinions of pretty much everything! So read it, reflect and most important of all. Be true to yourself, learn to know your inner self, or else you will perish in flames while Lilith rapes your soul in the anal and feed you to the wolves! Now, Fuck off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Feel free to visit our bandpage at: soundcloud.com/jormundgand666
Keep your eyes and ears open for Jormundgand!
Interview with Tobias of Jormundgand in Sadistik Witchfukk (9th of June, 2013):
Hail Tobbe! Because this is the first intie with you, please give us a short bio regarding your band!
- Hail! Well, we are JORMUNDGAND from Sweden. We have been lurking in the underground since 2004. The first demo "Satanic Attack" was recorded between 2008/2009, and at that time Hellbutcher from the mighty NIFELHEIM helped us a lot! He was with us in the studio and he even put some vocals to the song "Satanic Attack". He painted the cover for the demo and t-shirts, took all our promo pictures with his camera and more. In 2010 we recorded our single "The Eleven Path". I (Tobbe F) started my own record label "Burning Eye Productions" and the plan was to release the single on a 7" vinyl through Burning... But the dream hasn´t been transformed to reality yet because of different reasons.... In 2012 we decided to record our first full length-album. It is now finally finished and ready to be unleashed upon the surface of the world, to spread the poison of the mighty black dragon of the abysmal ocean of chaos!
How you got introduced into metal, and did you played in any bands before Jormundgand?
- It came quite natural to me, I guess. I was around 6 or 7 years old and I heard Guns'n'Roses on the radio! It was "Paradise City" and I felt like totally blown away by the music! Then on the very same radio show they played "Poison" with Alice Cooper, and then I was trapped forever! Very soon after that I started to listen to more hard music like Metallica and Iron Maiden. When I was at the age of 14 I started my first band. We named it "Confused" and we played some kind of Swedish straight edge hardcore! Haha, the music really sucked! hahaha! We played live one time and split-up shortly after that! When I was around 16 years old, I came in contact with Black Metal for the first time... And I can still remember the feeling of coming home, that I have finally found my musical way in life!
You are working on your first LP. Can you tell us all about it? (stuff such as recording process and so on). Did you signed with a label to promote it, or it is self-released?
- Yeah, this will be our first full length album! The thing is that it´s only two "new" songs on that recording! Those are "Malice Striker" and " Beyond the Bound". The rest of the songs were written between 2010 and 2012. I felt that we had too much un-recorded material to move on forward with the other new songs that will be on our next release. We have taped all our earlier material on a tape recorder. And everything has been recorded live in the studio. But this time we did a lot more time in the studio. We recorded all the instruments in separated steps, beginning with the drums, then bass, then guitar...... It was more time-consuming than I could ever imagine! And money-eating! That's why it took us more than one year to record the album! All my money has been pumped in this record, so I can´t release it by my own label, through "Burning Eye Productions". Not just because of the money, but because of all the time it took away from the music and creation of music. To make Black metal you need a very strong connection with your inner self. If you don't find that state of mind, then you will loose all the true spirit of your creation, especially now when we play live as well.
Are there any guests on the album? ( Hellbutcher or other ones?)
- I had plans to invite Hellbutcher to the studio again, and to ask Oscar from RAM to put some heavy metal song to one of the tracks, but, it never felt like the right thing to do! So, no guests on this album!
You shared the stage with Necrocurse on 5th of April in Gothenburg. How was Your concert?
- Ah! It was fucking great! We feel more hunger now than ever before! We did a gig in Trollhättan 4 weeks after the Gothenburg gig, and it was fucking awesome as well! Hail Satan!
What is the situation regarding your new shows? have you decided to tour Europe, or it will be just in Sweden (or Scandinavia)?
- We will play as much as we can. I feel that we have a great potential to be a killer band on stage!
How are the things going with Burning Eye Productions?
- Well, I am a little bit unsure about the future of Burning Eye Productions, at least with the Jormundgand thing. But I will have the label active in one or another way. Maybe releasing other bands' material and organizing concerts and tours. Time will tell!
What is JORMUNDGAND's current line-up and if the members of the band take part in other projects?
- It's me Tobias Fongelius on bestial vomit and guitar! And Ingo on drums. Erik K on guitar. He is active in a few other bands as well, like Vornth, Autokrat and Xul. Tobbe P has been involved in everything we have done so far, all the recordings and our two first live shows, but not anymore. He wants to give his main band "RAM" all his focus, I believe. So it's a fucking shit situation right now to be honest. But I understand and respect his decision. All hails to the mighty masters of "Heavy Metal Tyranny" - RAM!
Your top 10 all-time favourite albums are...?
- Shit! Haha, what a question! Ok.... Starting from 1.
Storm of the Light´s Bane
Servants of Darkness
Blood Fire Death
Altars of Madness
De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Again Shall Be
Well, I will probably change my mind tomorrow, but what the fuck: all this albums are fucking killer!
Do you know any bands from Hungary, Ukraine, Romania and Moldova?
- It's funny that you're asking me that, because when I was down to "Halmstad" in Sweden last month to bang my head to Nifelheim, Vulcano and The Stone, it was something unexpected that happened on the stage! As you maybe know, Tamás from the Hungarian band Tormentor is now a member in Nifelheim. And in the middle of the show, Hellbutcher went off from the stage and Attila Csihar came up instead and they started to play the intro to the "Anno Domini" record, and then they played "Tormentor" with Attila on vox! That was fucking legendary! But besides Tormentor, Domhring, Castrum and Chamos my knowledge about your bands is very thin I'm afraid.
What bands can you recommend us from Sweden (and also from the rest of the world)?
- Well, Vornth (swedish speed metal), Xul (Swedish black metal), Necrocurse (Swedish Death Metal), Mordant (Swedish Black Metal), Trial (Swedish Heavy Metal), In Solitude ( Swedish Heavy Metal). And of course, RAM (Swedish Heavy Metal).
Now regarding your local cuisine: what foods, drinks, cigars, tobaccoes can you recommend?
- Hmm, Sweden is very famous for our great KebabPizza! So if you come to Sweden, just order Kebab! We have something called "Systembolaget" in Sweden. And that's the only store where you can buy your alcohol. It's forbidden to sell alcohol in food-shops etc. Quite shitty if you ask me, but it have one big +. Every "Systembolaget" store have like 100 different beers, and maybe 100 different whiskeys and like 1000 different wines! So we have a lot of different brands to pick from! Personally i like scotch whiskey and Irish dark stoutbeer!
I was very pleased to find out that Jon Nödtveidt (Rest and Reign in Chaos) is your hero as well as mine. From your letters, I've got to know that you didn't know Jon personally, but what do you think of Him as a person and musician?
- Because I have a lot of friends that knew Jon personally, I know that he was a great person and musician! He was like a never ending source of musical energy and inspiration and the guitar riffs just sprayed out of his fingers into his guitar! He is, and will always remain, my greatest inspiration both musically and spiritually! Hail the bloodline of fire!
Hail Jon Nödtveidt!
Might his legacy never be forgotten.
Tack så mycket, Tobias and Jormundgand! Hail to Northern Dragon of Chaos! Your message to readers of Sadistik Witchfukk?
- Varsågod min vän! I hope to meet you in the mighty Carpathians soon!
You can listen to the music here: myspace.com/jormundgand666
Burning Eye Productions: myspace.com/burningeyeproductions
(Interview taken by Georgius and Necrotrooper)