Interview with Peter Karlsson
(The Pete Flesh Deathtrip, ex-Maze Of Torment, ex-Deceiver)
Hail brother Pete! Regarding your kindness, I had fortune to listen to The Pete Flesh Deathtrip new material, called ”Svartnad” and I must to say, it is a brilliant album. Would you be so kind to tell all the important information about it? What means the word/phrase Svartnad? (please, share with the readers the actual recording line-up/guest musician(s) as well)
- Thank you very much for those words regarding the album. I would say that the most important thing about the new album is that it´s not a ”Mortui Vivos Docent” part 2. I wanted to create an album that would be a contrast to that one, but still with the same kind of honest and personal dark - atmospheric ingredients. I also changed studio, drummer and producer for this album. ”Svartnad” means ”Blackened” in Swedish. I had that word for a long time in my head, and when the music started to form around the vision I had for this album it became more and more obvious that I would use it, just felt right. I played all the instruments expect the drums. This time it was the producer Henrik Borg that handle that part. We both also did some layers here and there. Henrik also did some guest vocals on two parts on the album. Not so many guest musicians on this album, just Henrik.
What lyrical themes include ”Svartnad”? I’ve watched a lot of times new The Pete Flesh Deathtrip video, ”The Sun Will Fail” and in my opinion is awesome job. Share some thoughts about circumstances of clip-making process. It will be a new video then?
- It´s is hard to be really objective sometimes when you are in the middle of creating an album, specially when you are writing all the music and lyrics. I read through all the lyrics some days ago and it was easier to be objective when it has gone some time. The lyrics has a really strong suicide, hopelessness, misanthropic atmosphere over them. A lot of past stuff. To get as personal as possible when I write them I just let the pen flow. I think you could say that I am more abstract in a sense when it comes to lyrics, than for example a historical correct writer. It´s more about personal views, experiences and dark emotions. The video has no deeper meaning than that I wanted to create a vibe with so little as possible, no story line etc. Just me and Henrik trying to capture the atmosphere of the song, letting the song doing all the work. But it´s always harder to get something less and abstract to work in the bigger sense. But I am satisfied with the result. Yes, there will be at least one more video. I film a lot on my own and have a big interest in that form of creative work, to bring music and film together. Actually I create my music more through pictures and films in my head than from a clean pure theoretical correct musician point of view.
THE PETE FLESH DEATHTRIP - The Sun Will Fail (OFFICIAL VIDEO):
The track "The Suicide End" from TPFDT debut album "Mortui Vivos Docent" will feature in a German underground horror movie this year. Tell to the readers about this infernal co-operation more, please.
- To be honest I have not heard any news regarding that project in a very long time. Like a lot of creative ideas, visions and goals in life a lot of it ran out in the sand because of financial problems. I´m not saying that this is the case here, but it would not surprise me.
TPFDT - "Demons Nor Zarath" (an excellent track as for me) was recorded for the CriticalMass.se volume 2 LP compilation in 2015 among a lot of another great bands and you signed a contract with this Swedish label for the releasing ”Svartnad” this year. How many releases you will plan with Critical Mass or You only signed for ”Svartnad”?
- We have only signed for one album deal right now. The music business today is like Russian roulette, so it´s better to work like this.
What is the situation with live shows of The Pete Flesh Deathtrip? (it would be great to see your band at live near my area)
- There are plans and I´m working on it. I´m sure it will happen one day. There are only some details left to be solved.
Back to the time a bit. What was your very first band? When did you start to play guitar and which guitarists inspired you at that era? Have you some favourite guitarists nowadays?
- My first band was called Leprost, of course inspired from the Death album ”Leprosy”. No recording or anything like that, but we did one live show. Chuck/Death was of course a big inspiration. Also James/Metallica and Jeff/Slayer. At the beginning you had a more physical approach towards the guitar and making music than the more mental personal vibe you picked up during the years of your own development, that you form your own style with all kind of different influences. I have listen to for example Pink Floyd from an early age, but it took me many years before I really understood the brilliance of David Gilmour´s playing.
I like a lot your previous bands as Harmony, Maze Of Torment, Deceiver. Would you be so kind to talk about these hordes briefly? It is possible, that you with your old mates will do something together again in the future? (maybe a show, or re-release some old stuff with bonuses)
- Harmony was the seed that led to Torment and then Maze of Torment. I think we had that Harmony name for around two years, did some demos and promos. Maze of Torment was my life for 12 years before I decided to quit. We recorded five studio albums together. They did one more after I left. I forced Deceiver directly after, a band I am really proud of. The albums maybe not always got the proper recording, if we recorder them today they would be a lot better with a better focus, but we were a really good live band and the energy was shown better there. We recorded three full-length albums and one mini album. No, I don´t think I ever will play with any of those bands again. I don´t say that in a arrogant way, it is just the reality. For example, I would never do Deceiver again without the original line-up, when Destormo sang, not me. And for that to happen I see as impossible. We have all different bands and lives today. But if would pick one of my old bands to do anything with, then that would be Deceiver. I would not have any problems with re-releases with any of the old albums, but there have never been any interest from a label. One thing that I really would like to happen is to have the debut album from Maze of Torment ”The Force” out on vinyl. I know that there is a big interest for that from MOT fans.
The first album of The Pete Flesh Deathtrip is one of my favourite releases in 2013. Among the great music your and with Micke Broberg’ vocalizing has totally „killed” me on the good wayJ. What is your opinion about his new project, Daemonium Regni? Maybe in the near future you will work again in some common material?
- I´m very proud of Mortui Vivos Docent” and also that I had Micke is on there as guest singer on half of the album, he also did some killer lyrics. He is a great creative musician and I like all his stuff, also Daemonium Regni. I would not say that it´s impossible that we would work together again depending on the material etc. The purpose for me with TPFDT is to have different approaches towards every new album. The source and ground is my creative visions, then I try to ”color” them with different elements, could be guest musicians that I not have worked with or something else. But I don´t see it as something impossible. I have tremendous respect for his own work.
(there are some awesome gifts, which ones Peter sent me)
Is there any news with the band, BLOOD ON THE AXE, where you are playing together with your son?
- I guess you could call that band ”Blood on the Ice” right now, not much have happen. He is the leader and chief there, I don´t know if I´m kicked out of the band. I have not been invited to any band meetings in a very long time. It could be that I´m bold, fat and old.
Tack så mycket, brother! Send to the readers some thought of Deathtrip………
- Check out the new album ”Svartnad”, out now on CD/LP/digital on Critical Mass Recordings. Thanx brother for the interview and endless support.
The Pete Flesh Deathtrip:
Release the first MAZE OF TORMENT album "The Force" on vinyl now Facebook-page:
Critical Mass Recordings: https://www.facebook.com/criticalmass.se/?fref=ts