Underground Metal Blog since 2013

2021. december 14., kedd

Peter Karlsson (The Pete Flesh Deathtrip) 1.IV.2013

  Interview with Peter Karlsson of 

The Pete Flesh Deathtrip 

Sadistik Witchfukk webzine, 1.IV.2013

Questions compiled by Georgius and Sorin Necrotrooper 


Hailz Pete! Because this is your first interview with us, introduce us in your 'Deathtrip'!

- The ground to this solo project took its form in 2001. My visions were not 100% clear then, as I still was in Maze of Torment. But I knew that I wanted to do something on my own. It took some years, but in 2005 I entered the studio and recorded the debut album "Dödsångest". The first 3 albums were released just under the moniker "Flesh", but it's still the same regardless the changing to "The Pete Flesh Deathtrip".

How did you get interested in metal?

- I got into this metal world in the same way like most others around my age. Bands like W.A.SP., Iron Maiden, Twisted Sister etc. started to take more and more room in the media. I fell for it all directly! The expressions, the energy, the creativity. At that time I lived in a small village and didn't knew so much about the more brutal movement that was going on. But when I was 15 I moved into a bigger town where Merciless lived. I started to read logos from their jackets, that's how I found out about bands like Sodom, Sepultura, Bathory, Mayhem, Nihilist etc. My world and life was then completed.

You played in some bands during the years. Can you tell us about them, and if you're satisfied with the results now?

If I only mention the ones that have done albums and not, are The Pete Flesh Deathtrip, Maze of Torment (I didn't played on the last one entitled "Hidden Cruelty"), Deceiver and Thrown. No, I'm not satisfied with them all, maybe 30% of them I would like to redo, like Deceiver's "Riding with the Reaper" which could have been a totally different album, if I should have waited some time before entering the studio with that one. Maze of Torment's debut album "The Force" will be always special to me. Also the last one I recorded, "Hammers of Mayhem". The first Deceiver M-CD is also a special one like Thrown's "The Suicidal Kings Occult".


Now speaking of " The Pete Flesh Deathtrip". It began under the name Flesh. Did you ever played any shows with it? (If yes, who helped you playing live? Was it the same studio line-up?)

- No live gigs yet. But it have been close two times. First, the old Deceiver line-up helped me at least to try, then this new one. But when every time I try, there is some sort of complications. If this will happen, everything must go perfect. I try to think out different scenarios for this to happen, and maybe someday it will happen. It would be cool.

Let's speak of your new album "Mortui Vivos Docent". Give us some info about it(recording process and such). Have you fixed a date for its release?

- The recording process of this album was very long, for 2 years. I also changed the studio from "The Abyss Studio" to record with Peter Bjärgö (Crypt of Kerberos, Arcana, Tyrant, The Black etc.). This studio is very close to where I live, so I could decide myself for example when it was the time to record down the bass. Maybe in retro-perspective some things could have gone faster to do. Also, I changed the session drummer to Adde (Vinterland, Tyrant, Nunfuckritual etc.) and to find time where we both could work on the drums was harder than we both knew from the beginning. Then also, for the first time I included a guest singer. He actually sings on half of the album: Micke Broberg (Unanimated, Celestial Pain etc.). He have also contributed with some lyrics. I had this idea that I wanted to do something different with this album, just to keep the listening more intersting, not just for the ones that buy the album, but also for me when it comes to the creative parts. I have done many, many albums that all ideas were mine, and it's hard to keep a whole album in a perspective where you just don't repeat yourself. I will keep working like this, but I will use different people all the time. Working like this will also help me to find inspiration, and new inputs on my own creative parts. The album have been delayed so many times now, for a lot of different reasons. But none of them will be layed on Pulverised Records, they are cool. But everything is sent to them now, I hope it will be out sometime in the summer of 2013. The album will also be out on vinyl on Temple of Whores records.


What do you think about the Swedish metal scene nowadays compared to the one in the 80s?

For me there are totally different times. First of all, you didn't had internet back then, you had to be creative in a different way to spread your name, on a more root level. Today it's more about how many "likes" you have. Don't seem to matter if people who have liked your side, actually like your music. I don't say it's wrong to spread your music in different ways. I also take the time sometimes to ask close friends to maybe spread some, but not in a "down your through way". And also, if someone supports me, I fucking support them too. Today you also have tons of bands. It's impossible to follow the scene in the same way. There are so many different styles as well. I could be nostalgic, and say that everything was better back then, but that will not help me in any way at all. Things change: some to the better, some to the worse.

What is your opinion about Gothenburg metal? What about stuff such as Death'n'Roll?

When it comes to the older bands from that area, there is a lot of good stuff. About newer stuff, nah, not so interested. Regarding death'n'roll, there is some good stuff. For me it has always been like "a good track is a good track, regardless genre, trend, or what the people say".

What do you think about mp3 downloads?

It have been out there for so long now, that I don't really reflect on it. If you download and like the stuff and  you are into music in a way you should be, you also get the album. If people have some kind of brain, they will understand that bands that play this kind of music don't earn anything from it, it goes to be able to record a new album or maybe print some shirts. 


Your top 10 all-time favourite metal albums?

Those lists are impossible for me. I have tons of faves. Like you see on the list: no Slayer, no At the Gates, no Dismember, no Mayhem, no Death, no Judas Priest, no Destroyer 666, no The Exploited, no Terra Firma, no Candlemass, no Pink Floyd, no Misfits, no Kreator, no Destruction, no Sodom, no Dead can Dance, no Black Sabbath etc. All of them have done albums I likes as much as those I mention. Anyway, these bands are played a lot right now.

Dissection - "Storms of the Light's Bane"
Possessed - "Seven Churches"
Sadus - "Illusions"
Morbid Angel - "Altars of Madness"
Iron Maiden - "Killers"
Metallica - "Kill'em All"
Danzig - "Lucifuge"
Bathory - "Blood Fire Death"
Merciless - "The Awakening"
Mercyful Fate - "Don't Break the Oath"

Do you know any bands from Hungary, Ukraine and Romania? What other bands can you recommend us(from all the globe and also from Sweden)?

Of course Tormentor. First time I heard "Anno Domini" it was like a new world was opened for me. Are Nokturnal Mortum from your area? Your 2 old bands, brother (Castrum and Domhring). Hmm, I should know more. I came across a band called Protest some time ago, I think they are from Romania. I know more. I can recommend "The Curse" from Sweden, also "Necrovation". "Anal Vomit" is great. A lot of bands out there.

Now regarding your local kitchen: what foods, drinks, tobaccoes can you recommend us?

I have been sober for almost 7 years (long story). I have forgotten the names of drinks, but there were a lot of bloody Mary's to start the day. You get the breakfast in the same time in a way I only do "Snus" nowadays. When it comes tobacco, you know? Grov snus för fan! Food, it can be anything, I'm like a garbage... I eat almost anything.

Did you taught your son to play guitar? Does he listens to metal as well?

We play now and then. I never force him. Right now he practice on some Black Sabbath and Accept stuff. Yeah, he likes metal stuff and have started a small, so far, vinyl collection. Faves are WASP, Kiss and Accept. But also enjoys Slayer, Sepultura (He met Paul Jr. last summer, also Dee Snider at the same time). And stuff like that. Also old stuff like Deep Purple and Rainbow. I try to learn the roots of it all. He is just 7 years old, and have met some of his idols. Some months ago we saw WASP, he was bloody blown away. This summer he will see Kiss, Accept (he likes the new album), Saxon etc. I don't try to form him, he is my kid and can listen to whatever he wants. Of course, he also sometimes can sing along with music that simply are "kid" music. I guess every country have some sort of clown that does music and are simply kid music. But if you would ask him what his fave band is, it would be "Pete Flesh Deathtrip". He is loyal.


What hobbies do you have besides metal?

Reading and playing football with my son, also fishing. I do not socialize so much with other people. I have my son, girlfriend and her kids, just taking care of the closest.

Tack så mycket! That's all for now. The last warning is yours!

Thanx bro for the interview, greatful for the support, you know it!!! People interested in my work are welcome to contact me. Hail the hordes!

Pete Flesh can be contacted here:


The guys behind the horde. From left to right: Andreas (guest session drums), Pete (vocals, guitars, bass), Micke (guest session vocals)











Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése