Underground Metal Blog since 2013

2023. január 17., kedd

Mattias Johansson (Karnivore)

 Interview with Mattias Johansson (Karnivore, Goat Skull, ex-In Pain, 

ex-El Camino, ex-Nidhöggr)

Questions compiled by Georgius and 

Johanna (Poland/Germany)

El Camino period
                                                     
Hail Mattias, hope you are doing fine. Let’s start with your latest news: Karnivore released in early November, 2022 a killer single namely “Disintegrate”, it’s an awesome track and a brilliant video. Would you be so kind to talk about it more? There will be a new Karnivore full-length this year?

- Hi I'm doing great. Let's get into it, the new single disintegrate. we started to record it in Spring of last year and released in November of the same year because it was so delayed I don't remember but its typically Karnivore, it is always something coming up and getting in the way. 

But it is a track we have had for some time and finally got around to record, we felt releasing it online with a music video it was the easy and right way to go just to show people we were alive, the music is written by Jens and the lyrics mainly written by me with some phrasing and technical editing by our singer Martin.

The music video is made fairly basic in our rehearsal space and edited by our guitarist Per, it was recorded during a hot couple of hours in the summer ,and it came out really ok for being an real low budget homemade thing, It's our first one so we can't be other than happy with it, it will absolutely be more of that in the future, regarding a new release with Karnivore remains to be seen, we have music for almost an album but we have no record deal for the moment and we really want it to be released in physical formats, time will tell, fingers crossed an all that stuff.

In Pain unleashed a brilliant old-school album “The Thing from the Grave” in 2022, which LP is one of my favourites of latest year. (Thanks a lot for your signature on CD-cover!!!). How went the recording of the drums?

 - The recording for “The Thing from the Grave” went really fast and easy and was done in a couple of hours, I usually listen a lot to the songs taking some notes and then just record it and that’s how it usually is done with the In Pain recording because we don’t do much rehearsing, or any at all to be honest.

I had my companion Jens from Karnivore to assist and to record it, we have a long history of recording and playing music together so it's always a pleasure.

an awesome gift, 'The Thing from the Grave'  digipack CD and signatures of In Pain -G/

Unfortunately, your ways and In Pain separated because of the travel distance. What are your most preferred songs of In Pain where you played the drums? 

- That’s a hard question. I really like the first ones I recorded for the “ A Call from the Grave” and "Summoning the Dead"  EPs because everything was new, but if I'll choose from the first album it is "The Shadow from the Ancient Tomb" and "Battle" that comes to mind, from the latest album it is definitely  "The Beast Within" and "Midnight Rituals".


Back to the Karnivore: it is a pretty old horde and if I’m not mistaken you started in 2002 under the name Karneywar. Tell the readers briefly the band’s history and releases. 

- The short story of Karnivore is that we started a long time ago and recorded 3 demos under the Karneywar name those years was mostly about playing around in the rehearsal place and trying to get a steady line up going which was easier said than done, we finally got a good bunch of people together and did some gigs in our home town and some abroad, in Germany and Denmark supporting old school veterans Pagan Rites. Then we changed our name to Karnivore and recorded the first record “ The Triumphant Khaoz”, shortly after our friend and guitarist Patrik lost his battle with cancer and we were again some people short for live gigs... it was a hard blow to loose a friend and a band member so we lost it all for a while but got back on our feet and recorded a new album as a three piece called "In the Halls of the Wicked'". No steady line up so we started to work on the next record that came to be "Dödsriket" and now we are here in 2023 and have a new hard and heavy line up and working on new stuff and hopefully some gigs in the near future that’s the shortest version  I could do haha 

Karnivore 'Dödsriket' line up

You are active in the Mexican Black metal horde called Goat Skull. What should we know about that Hellish cooperation.

- Goat Skull is in a long sleep I think I haven't heard from them for a while but we recorded and released a split 7” with Sabbat (Japan) and an ep a couple of years ago, it was talks about a full length but we will see when that will happen, when they call I'll answer and pound those drums to dust for my Mexican brothers.

Goat Skull

Tell the readers about your past activity of the following bands, as El Camino, Fear The Future, Nidhöggr and Under Attack, please.

- El Camino is a local Doom band I played with for a couple of years, we recorded and released some really good records ( we share the same rehearsal space for the time being)

Nidhöggr is my good friend Björn Thorups black metal band that I also recorded a bunch of good material with, in that case it was also a matter of distance problem or I would surely still be banging those drums. Under Attack is also a band managed by Björn this is a Speed/Heavy metal band.

Fear The Future is not much to talk about for my part, the plan was to record drums for their second album but nothing became of it, good people and good friends though.

Nidhögrr

Perhaps you know, that my small blog is eternally dedicated to Jon Andreas Nödtveidt and Lars-Göran Petrov amongst others. Did you share with your bands the stages with them and meet them in person? Have you any favourite LPs/tracks from their heritage? 

- I have actually played (amongst many other bands on the bill) as an opening act for Dissection sometime in the mid-nineties with a black metal band I joined when I was maybe 16 years old. I have talked a couple of times with Jon both before and after prison but not more than in a fan kind of way. Really like all their albums but "Storm of the Light's Bane" is a fav.  

I don’t think I ever played anywhere near L-G but I'm a big fan of Entombed and LG was that kind of person you'll bump in to now and then which always was fun.

When did you start to play the drums? Which musicians influenced you in the past? What are your favourite ones nowadays?

- I started to play the drums in the late 80s but have never been a practice kind of guy, something I regret now, not that I practice much now either. 

My absolute inspiration back then was Kiss and especially Eric Carr, he got my interest for drums to awake, Nicke Andersson was a big inspiration during his Entombed years, Gene Hoglan of Death is of course a big one too.


Beside the drums do you play other musical instruments? 

- I play guitar and bass but not in any bands right now but I write some stuff so we will see what happens in the future.

Name us your eternal favourite albums.

Deicide - Legion

Iron Maiden- Killers

Entombed - Left Hand Path

Death - Human

King Diamond - Abigail

Kiss - Creatures of the Night

Bathory – Blood Fire Death

And of course many more but that’s the fundamental records  that never stopped spinning at my place.

Would you be so kind to describe your local Swedish scene? Alongside Karnivore which bands are there?

- It's not a long answer to this, my town used to be a really great music city so growing up here was all about playing and hanging out in the rehearsal room. lots of good bands playing all kinds of music.

Nowadays it's not the same, it is probably bands playing that I don't now about, but the bands worth mentioning is :

El Camino that I used to play in they are still an active band.

Pile of Death that play old school death metal and we are all sharing the same rehearsal space.

Tack så mycket/Thanks a lot, Mattias, we wishing you all the best. Send your message to the readers, please.

- Thanx a lot for giving me the opportunity!

Keep your eyes open for more metal from me and my bands in Sweden, and maybe Mexico who knows.



Important links: 

facebook.com/karnivoremetal

youtube.com/@karnivore9204













Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése