Underground Metal Blog since 2013

2026. szeptember 5., szombat

Pontus Norman and Brice Leclercq (CON)

 Interview with Pontus Norman 

and  Brice Leclercq (CON)


Hail Pontus and Brice! First of all, let me congratulate you on the release of your amazing one called “The Shrine Within”. What has the feedback from the underground scene been like so far?

Brice: So far so good! I think the feedback is very positive & we are very proud of what we achieved with this release! Some of the fans told me that it sounded awesome & very unique! It’s a very good compliment in my opinion!

Pontus: I have the same view as Brice on that. We’ve received very positive feedback, and I’m really happy that we actually went through the whole process of having Brice handle the bass and add quite a few lead guitar parts. We also remastered all of the songs.

For many years, people have been asking where they could find the old songs, so it was really fun to finally be able to release them the way they were originally meant to sound.

I know, it is always a hard question but would you be so kind to share some thoughts about the songs (track by track) in your own words? What was the band’s line-up on that release?

Pontus: I can’t really give my thoughts on each individual song, but rather on the album as a whole — and it’s incredible. This is a tribute to the old CON and a closing chapter. Now we’re entering the next phase, which will be much more musically developed, with an unparalleled sense of purpose and determination. It will be clear that a lot has changed over all these years, on every level.

The lineup on the album is:

Carl Nordblom – Vocals

Rhythm & Lead Guitars: Pontus Norman

Bass & Lead Guitars: Brice Leclercq

Drums: Jimmie Olausson (R.I.T.A.D.) — I programmed the drums on the remaining tracks.

In my humble opinion the magnificent cover art absolutely fits to the mood of the tracks. Who created that one for you?

Pontus: Nes Alvarez, who runs the label, handled all of the design. I’m extremely happy with the result and think it looks fucking great and fits perfectly.

He did an incredible job.


“The Shrine Within” was released through Deäth Postüre Records on the 12th of August this year. How did you make them that awesome alliance? Will you plan to work with them later again?

Brice: I don’t think we can tell with whom we are gonna work in the future since it’s too early to tell but we are very pleased with Deäth Postüre Records so far!

Pontus: Nes from the label contacted me several years ago about doing a release. I didn’t want to do it back then. To be completely honest, I had stepped away from music for personal reasons. But a little over six months ago, I thought, “Fuck it, Pontus, let’s do this.” So we went for it.

Thanks to that, we’re also up and running again, and I’ve never had this much fun or found it this rewarding to write music as I do now.

We’re really fucking happy with the collaboration so far, but as Brice says, it’s way too early to say what happens next.

Pontus you told me in our private conversation, that you are working with brand new songs. It will be a new full-length album? What can we know about the new release and line-up?

Pontus: Well, you’re not getting much out of me, haha!

The only thing I can say is that I’ve finished writing 11 songs. We’re currently expanding the lineup of CON, but I can’t reveal who’s involved just yet.

But I’m very happy with how things are shaping up, and the musical talent within the band has never been stronger than it is now.

I like so much your previous stuff “In Signo Draconis”. How was that EP received by underground press and fans? How can the Black metal fanatics get “In Signo Draconis?”

Pontus: I think it was very misunderstood, and it didn’t sound like the earlier CON material. It was never meant to sound like the old CON either — you write what you feel at the time, and that was what I was feeling and writing back then.

It’s not available anywhere, but one of the songs from it is featured on The Shrine Within.


Are you planning any live performances with the horde in the future?

Brice: Even if we are more of a studio band, you never know what the future could bring! If the circumstances & timing are right, why not!

Pontus: I agree with Brice here. We’re definitely a studio band, but I don’t see live shows as being impossible either. We’ll just have to wait and see.

Pontus, that is not a secret that I’m a big supporter of your brother, Johan’s guitar-playing since early 90’s. What are your favourite bands and songs from his works? Is it possible that he would be a guest one on your new material?

Pontus: Johan is a very talented guitarist and songwriter, and he has created a lot of great music. I’ve probably always leaned more towards black metal, while he’s more into death metal, so out of the bands he’s played in, Dissection is the one closest to my heart.


Brice, would you be so kind to tell the readers some information about your past activity in the bands as Ages and Nightrage?

Brice: Sure! Back in 2003, I played bass on Nightrage’s first album called “Sweet Vengeance” with a very interesting line up; Gus G (Ex Ozzy Osbourne, Firewind, King Diamond), Tomas Lindberg (At The Gates), Per Mölle Jensen (The Haunted) & of course Marios Iliopoulos, the main composer of the band! We recorded it in Studio Fredman & I remember Tompa had a cold the day he was supposed to record & he told us “I’ll try but I can’t guarantee anything…” But he did it in one day and that’s what you hear on the album! He was a great guy & had a tremendous amount of talent! You are very missed Tompa!… RIP
People may not know but after leaving Dissection, I studied sound engineering & got a license. One of my teachers was actually Daniel, one of the composers behind Ages! I met Andreas when doing the sound for a Death Metal band called Volturyon where he played guitars. That’s how it all came together.

Brice, I’ve listened to “Synchronicity” I and “Relentless” of your latest week and I must say, they are excellent melodic Black metal hymns. What should we know about From Kaos?

Brice: Well, I’ve been very busy since I played bass on the upcoming Kvaen album that should be released at the beginning of 2027!

I also joined the mighty Black metal band Dawn with my old friend, Tomas Asklund on drums! Unfortunately, I can’t give any release date yet since vocals are left to be recorded but I can easily tell you that this is for the best Dawn album to date! And I’ve been listening to Dawn since the 90’s!

Back to From Kaos, I’m finishing the new album “Synchronicity II” as we speak! It should be ready by the end of the year but I can’t give any release date yet since it will also depend on the label choice and so forth!…

On the other hand, I can proudly announce that Tobias Kjellgren is playing the drums on the album & I couldn’t be happier with the result honestly! He nailed it & we are definitely gonna do this again in the future!

I can’t wait to see how people are gonna react to it because I took my time this time & I spent a lot of energy on it.


One of my favourite live albums ever is Live in Stockholm 2004 from Dissection. Which songs by the band did you enjoy playing live? Are there any preferred tracks from “Reinkaos” LP?

Brice: Thank you very much! Well, I loved playing in Dissection honestly so it’s a tough question; I’d say Thorns of Crimson Death, Soulreaper & The Somberlain when it comes to Rebirth in Stockholm!

On Reinkaos, I have a special feeling for Black Dragon, Dark Mother Divine & the title track, Reinkaos!

Pontus and Brice, thank you very much for the interview, my best wishes to you both. Send some thoughts in the end to complete this conversation, please.

Brice: Thanks to all the past, present & future fans for supporting CON & you won’t be disappointed, I promise!

And we can’t wait to release the new album!

Pontus: Thank you, and thanks to everyone who supports CON. I can tell you that we’re working incredibly hard on a new album that we’re absolutely fucking thrilled to release. It’s going to be a complete transformation for CON.

Important links: 





















Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése